So cheers to attempt No. 3 to start my blog! I hope I can keep it up.
Tonight I made chicken pot pies in my new mini Staub Dutch ovens. They’re too cute and I got them for a smokin’ deal at TJ Maxx. They came out pretty good (definitely no Marie Callendar’s) but I would try a different crust like phyllo and use less rosemary. That stuff is pretty potent. The recipe below is more for a whole pie and could have filled two more individual little guys. You can also cook this recipe in ceramic mugs if you don’t want to make a whole pie. I had lots of leftover dough and made pigs and pepperjack cheese in a blanket.
Recipe Verdict: This reciepe was super easy and I would definitley make it again. Took me about 30 minutes to prep and 30 more to bake. I’m slow though =)
Here’s the recipe:
Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie (paula deen but tweaked by me)
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (i used prepackaged chicken and added hot dogs =)
- Frozen Veggies (mix of celery, carrots, corn, potoatoes) I’d suggest using fresh stuff though.
- Minced Garlic
- Minced Onions
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (campbell’s healthy request)
- 1 can cream of mushroom (campbell’s healthy request)
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper (to taste…check to see your saltiness level)
- Pinch of some herbs – it defintely needs it so whatever’s on hand (e.g sage, rosemary, cayenne, paprika)
- 1 1/2 cups instant biscuit mix (omitted and used 1 can crescent roll recipe sheets)
- 1 stick melted butter (only use if using bisquick)
- 1 cup of milk (for bisquick mix)
- Egg Wash
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Saute garlic and onions in EVOO. Add frozen veggies and a little water. Mix in the chicken . Add various herbs and saute. Mix in the cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, and 1/2 cup milk. Mix till pot pie filling is hot. You can also add cheese for additional flavor. Pour the pot pie filling in a dutch oven, pyrex, or pie tin. If using bisquick, stir together the biscuit mix and milk, and pour this over the casserole. Drizzle butter over the topping. If using crescent rolls, cut sheet to appropriate length and width and place over the filling (the crust can hang over the sides a bit). Make sure to wet the edge of your pan where the crescent roll sits on. Brush with egg wash for the nice brown color.
Bake until the topping is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes